I’m Janice Ho, a freelance copy editor known for my strong attention to detail, fast turnaround times, and marketing savvy.
I am based in Toronto, Canada, but work remotely with clients from around the world. Contact me to discuss how I can help with your next editing project.
Even great writers need an editor to review their marketing copy before they hit “publish” or submit an important report for publication.
Work with me and:
- Save time and energy you’d otherwise spend revising writing that’s below your standards.
- See a boost in audience engagement because your readers finally connect with your message and content.
- Get back a polished piece of writing on time, every time. (I’m never late with a deadline.)
- Publish edited content that exudes your brand voice and personality.
- Get unstuck when you’re struggling to make your copy shine – I know how to ask the right questions or suggest changes to get your writing flowing again.
- If your report or manuscript is being reviewed by leadership or an academic journal, feel confident that they’ll receive a polished, well-written piece of work.
- Work with a professional who is committed to ongoing learning – I am a member of ACES: The Society for Editing and continuously upgrade my skills through trainings and courses.
- Work with a communicative, friendly freelancer who has 7+ years of experience working remotely with teams from around the world.
What does copy editing include?
I will edit your copy to ensure it is:
- clear and concise, so your readers quickly understand your message
- organized and consistent, so your content looks professional instead of confusing
- accurate, so you avoid any embarrassing errors
- focused on your target audience, so you use your marketing resources wisely
- flowing logically and smoothly from one idea to the next, so you don’t lose your readers’ attention
My copy editing service also includes everything under proofreading (see below).
Having your writing proofread means your reader won’t be distracted by rambling sentences or spelling errors. Instead, they can focus on the important message you want to deliver to your audience.
If you just want a detailed sweep of your writing, instead of a more in-depth edit, I will proofread your content to ensure accuracy of spelling, grammar, and punctuation, as well as consistency in formatting and style.
What I Edit and Proofread
My copy editing and proofreading projects span a broad range of communication products including:
- technical reports
- academic journal manuscripts
- funding/grant applications
- website copy
- blog posts
- marketing emails
- social media copy
- guides and checklists
- and more!
My projects have also included a diversity of topics such as life sciences, education, the environment, sustainability, farming, food, nutrition, wellness, mental health, social commentary, and more.
Who I Edit For: My Clients
Organizations that produce reports, manuscripts, and other documents
I help organizations, agencies, and academics polish their reports, manuscripts, and other documents.
I use editing tools and style manuals, and adhere to journal style guidelines and scientific naming conventions (where needed), to ensure a high degree of consistency, organization, and accuracy.
I edit government-related communications resources understanding the importance of thoughtful positioning and detail to accuracy.
Moreover, with my marketing experience, I am well-versed in editing copy for conciseness and impact and making complex information easily understandable to readers.
Businesses that create marketing and communications copy
I help businesses and entrepreneurs clean up their website copy, blog posts, marketing emails, and other communications products.
With my marketing lens, I always ask, “Who are you writing this for?” before diving into an edit. I know I can serve my clients best when the writing is targeted to the people they actually want to communicate to!
However, I can also simply edit a piece of writing as is. I will free your copy of any spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors; ensure the writing is clear, concise, and in active voice; and provide suggestions for any larger content changes that may create greater impact.
Copy Editing + Marketing Strategy
Many times, what starts out as a simple copy editing job turns into helping a client with their marketing strategy. That’s because many clients have more questions than clear answers about their target audience.
Taking on an entire marketing strategy might be out of the question. However, depending on your needs and capacity, we can work on key elements of your business’ marketing strategy, such as your value proposition, target audience persona, and customer sales funnel.
Through this process, we will:
- understand your audiences’ needs, challenges, and desired outcomes
- know why they would find your product/service beneficial
- discover the right keywords and key messages to use in your copy
In addition, I’ll get familiar with your brand voice to infuse your copy with your unique personality.
Interested in creating copy that truly speaks to your target audience? Let’s create a tailored package and make it happen. Grounding your content in an overarching strategy is essential to ensure that all your future copy is laser-targeted toward your intended reader instead of speaking to everybody (which in marketing translates to nobody).
I work on a sliding scale of $70–85/hr (+50% for a 24-hour-or-less turnaround time). This is negotiable, so please don’t be afraid to reach out if my rate doesn’t fit right within your budget. I have a flexible schedule and am usually available for projects with short deadlines.
Work With Me
What piece of writing do you need polished with an editor’s eagle eye? Click the button below to contact me through the website contact form. Or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Let’s discuss how I can help you deliver your message the way it’s meant to be read.
Still Want to Know More?
Want to learn more about my work? Check out my Project Portfolio here to find out how I’ve contributed to the success of my clients’ projects.